Why do humans get arthritis? An interesting perspective!!

Well I’m sure you’ve all read about the bone and cartilage rubbing against each other that causes too much friction and eventual deterioration of the joint, cartilage etc and we end up with all the pain of arthritis. Now that’s nothing you didn’t already know. But does it actually explain why we suffer all the pain of arthritis in the first place.

Give me a second and you’ll see where I’m going with this.

Recently I read an interesting article about human evolution. Now evolution can be a sensitive subject for some, especially those of us that are quite religious. I my self am a devout Christian and well, the good book states that man was created by God. There isn’t any mention of evolution. That our origins are with species of lower intelligence and slowly, over millions of years we acquired the ability of speech, writing and language etc. I wont go into this too much otherwise ill be straying off the point all together.

However, I am an open minded person and there seems to be scientific evidence to support these hypothesises. Now I do say these are hypothesises simply because in the past science has made many assumptions that were initially taken to be the absolute truth and fact only to be rebutted or disqualified over time as contradicting evidence was found. Now you can’t say that isn’t fair!!

On the other hand I have my faith and accordingly, life is a test and I guess arthritis and all the pain and suffering that goes along with it is just a part of life and we just have to suck it up and some would say. All we can do is try to live our lives the best way we possibly can and hopefully the lord above will open the gates to heaven to us when the time comes.

Going back to the article, it mentioned that humans today still carry characteristics from our days of being creatures of the sea, and yes I do mean fish. A good example of this is hiccups. This is a knee jerk reaction that fishes developed to clear the breathing passageways ensuring that oxygenated water could pass to the gills to be filtered ensuring a steady stream of oxygen to the brain. Now I know we don’t use oxygenated water but the principle is the same. Very interesting I thought to myself. I then went on to read that the human foetus for the first few weeks shares many similarities to a fish foetus, the article went on to show a picture of the two and sure enough I couldn’t see what they were talking about. Now I thought that was even more interesting.

Now that got me thinking. If we were from the sea originally, and with the buoyancy of water there would be very little pressure on our bones and cartilage when we moved around. Therefore there should be less risk of suffering arthritis.

When we came out of the water, we slowly adapted and evolved to what we are today. Well perhaps we just haven’t evolved far enough yet, maybe our bodies haven’t yet adapted completely from the dramatic change of being a sea creature to a completely land based creature. It is for this reason that our everyday activities of moving around, whether it is walking or running that causes arthritis on areas such as the lower back, knees and ankles. These are areas that take most of the pressure of our weight and where arthritis is most prominent. If our bones and joints can just about deal with the pressure when we are the ideal weight then imagine the strain they must be experiencing when we are overweight. Now I know that sounds like doom and gloom for all mankind, but every cloud has a silver lining. Remember this is only a hypothesis that I am pondering!!

Perhaps then, this could also mean that as we continue to evolve and better adapt to being land based creatures, arthritis may slowly disappear. Why you ask? Well the body will realise that the amount of bone and cartilage that it creates at the moment is not sufficient to last an entire lifetime which will force it to create more durable bones and more durable cartilage to compensate. So mankind in the future may never suffer as we do today. I did say there was silver lining, didn’t I.!!

However there is one other point that came to mind. It was the biological point of view. Most people tend to start suffering arthritis towards the latter part of their life. Technically in order to safeguard the species our bodies must remain healthy to ensure the start of the next generation.. We only need to remain healthy up to the point where we can have children and care for them up to the point where they are able fend for themselves and not remain totally dependent on the parent.. I guess the fifty to sixty mark when arthritis really begins to show its ugly head, this is very achievable. So there is no real need for us anymore. The body has achieved what it was designed to do and no longer needs us to remain healthy and so unfortunately we slowly become weaker and eventually we die. I know that sounds really sad, but there could be some truth to it.

That brings me to the question of exactly what age were we supposed to live to. Some would argue that even 30-40 could be the right age for us to depart from this world. While we still have all our faculties. By this point we should have had ample opportunity to reproduce and safeguard the next generation. Generally speaking, humans are ready to reproduce while they are in their teens. It is because of modern society and culture that many of us decide not to i.e. work and career. Think about it, how many land based mammals do you know that like as long as humans. Very few come to mind. I guess it is our intelligence and higher brain function that has allowed us to like longer. We have developed therapies and treatments to combat diseases and illnesses that would normally kill us. Baring this in mind I guess we should just be grateful that we can live longer and try our best to cope with our unnaturally long lives and simply make the best of a bad situation.

Any ways I hope you found the above interesting to read. I know the above doesn’t really help us in any way against the pain and suffering that arthritis delivers us on a daily basis. But….. I thought it was some interesting point of views. These are just a few thoughts I had about arthritis and life in general. I hope you enjoyed the read.


Don’t forget to visit my website, its full of interesting information about arthritis and what you can do to help reduce the pain and symptoms. visit;

www.cureyourarthritisremedy.com
Michelle.

No comments:

Learn ThaiChi & Increase Mobility

******************** FULL 29 EPISODES **********************